Wednesday, August 2, 2017

IWSG: Unwelcome Spoilers

It's Insecure Writers Support Group day, a monthly event where participating writers can share insecurities and other details about stuff going on in their lives. Today's IWSG question is: What are your pet peeves when reading/writing/editing?

There is a pet peeve that has come up before while I'm reading a story or being exposed to any medium of storytelling (e.g. movies, film). I get annoyed when I have been introduced to a new story that interests me or when I'm moving deep into a story and I learn a major spoiler or the ending. That's why when I'm watching a TV show that has already been out for a few seasons, I try to avoid reading any articles about the show. I also try to avoid viewing reviews of a book while I'm reading the book. Sometimes I still encounter spoilers though.

If I'm already hooked on the story, I can continue on with it, even though I know what's coming ahead. Good writing can keep me around.

I hope that if my WIP ever get published and somehow my story's spoilers reach readers, they will find a reason to stick around too.

Do you continue reading or watching a story after you know how it will end?

8 comments:

Em-Musing said...

I"m a sucker for a good series so it doesn't matter if I somehow find out the ending, if a character dies, or there's a major twist in the story.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll stick around for a good story. After all, I knew going into the movie that the Titanic sunk and it was still a great film.

Pat Hatt said...

I try to avoid spoilers, but if they happen, I still keep on keeping on.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Sometimes I'm able to block the spoiler from my mind, like pretend I hadn't heard it. Other times, I try to focus on other aspects of the story, like the dialogue or the acting, etc, things I might not pay as much attention to because I'd be all caught up in what was going to happen.

S.P. Bowers said...

In our world spoilers are inevitable. I've learned to live with it. I'll never seek them out. Unless I've decided not to finish the movie/book and want to know what happened. In those cases it usually makes me angry and justifies my refusal to continue on.

emaginette said...

I read a lot of mysteries and I need to read to the end to find out if my right. So yeah, I read on even if I know. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

John Wiswell said...

I also religiously avoid spoilers. The worst is when it's taken me a few years to get around to a book, and I'm in the middle of it when someone strikes up a conversation about it specifically by spoiling the end. Of all the times they could do that...!

The Silver Fox said...

I hate spoilers, but it doesn't always deter me from reading a book or seeing a movie.

As far as a pet peeve, I hate reading a book that badly needed, but didn't get, an editor.

Post a Comment